Different forms of budgets

Welcome to Shoreacres,
an oasis on Galveston Bay!
Forums Budget Different forms of budgets

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      David Jennings
      Keymaster

After last evening’s meeting, I created 4 additional budget scenarios for you to consider, giving you 5 versions.

Draft 4 as presented 9/20/21 – no tax increase, no reserve spending, no police vehicle

Draft 5A – no tax increase, $52,000 reserve spending, 1 police vehicle

Draft 5A1 – $0.038397 (4.61%) tax increase, no reserve spending, 1 police vehicle

Draft 5B – no tax increase, $76,000 reserve spending, 1 police vehicle, 2 Driver License scan machines

Draft 5B1 – $0.047393 (5.69%) tax increase, $10,429.47 reserve spending, 1 police vehicle, 2 Driver License scan machines

I hope that I’ve made it clear enough to understand. I got the feeling that the majority of council was for purchasing a new police vehicle but was unsure how to pay for it. I got the feeling that the majority of council was not for purchasing the two driver license ticketing machines but included them in the 5B versions.

My thoughts on the funding if council moves forward with a police vehicle and/or the two DL machines would be to pay for them out of the reserves and not raise property taxes. I think that our reserves are at a comfortable enough level to allow this. Any funds that are not spent in this fiscal year would roll into the reserves and reclaim some or all of funds allocated.

Property tax increases never really go away because they raise the base level of the No New Revenue tax rate.

Remember that you can use this forum to legally discuss budget items and tax rates. I hope that you do that. We will have our last budget hearing Monday night. Afterwards, we will work through the budget, finalize it and vote on it. Then we will set a property tax rate necessary to fund the budget that council passes.

DJ

Bo Bunker

Looks good. Thank you for all of the choices. Sorry I couldn’t get to this sooner I was “cleanin’ up and greenin’ up”. I like 5 because I don’t think we can put the car off another year. I know Troy has begun a maintenance program on the vehicles and that will certainly help in the future. I am also against a tax increase for the sake of having a tax increase. I may consider a slight tax increase increase to cover part of the car but I would have to think about it. Open for discussion.

Bo Bunker

Having gone over them again, I would go with 5. Fund the car with no tax increase. As you have pointed out, the money is there, the emergency fund is there and we are preparing for a $72,000 surplus based on the bonuses we budget for. As you pointed out “Property tax increases never really go away because they raise the base level of the No New Revenue tax rate.” I agree. #5!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.