Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

Fairfield paving

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      David Jennings
      Keymaster

Council, as you know, Fairfield Street is in need of repaving from Broadway to Miramar. I have asked City Manager Harrison to obtain a bid package to give you a cost for this project.

We currently have $627k in our TexPool emergency fund. The recommendation from our auditors is that we keep liquid funds of at least three months of city expenditures in case of an emergency. Based upon our budget, that would be approximately $500k, leaving a max of approximately $127k for any projects the city needs to undertake.

I would prefer not to issue more bonds for this work but that is a possibility. What are your ideas for funding a project like this?

Bo Bunker

Really curious to see bids. I know concrete will be much more expensive in today’s climate but would certainly withstand the abuse the road is certain to take with Tractors, concrete trucks, skid steerers, grass trucks and other large vehicles. I am all for fixing the street but needs to be able to stand up or have contingency to get street repaired by builders or the subs. We just need to see the bids.

David Jennings
      Keymaster

Here is a quote that Troy obtained back in March. Fairfield Ave Quote March 16, 2021

I spoke with the rep about the quote. The numbers are still good. I did not request a formal quote for concrete but a rough estimate is 50% more. I’ll bring this up at the next council meeting and if council wants to move forward, we’ll do a formal bid process and see where we land.

So this quote basically breaks down like this:

Option A: Mill (scrap off) two inches of the current surface and then put two inches of new topping on the old base. The cost would be $54,810 for Fairfield to Sunrise and an additional $33,495 from Sunrise to the curve on Miramar. Total cost would be $88,305 plus the cost to bond the project.

Option B: Mill (scrap off) ten inches of the current base and surface, then put eight inches of base and two inches of topping down. The cost would be $138,000 for Fairfield to Sunrise and an additional $52,500 from Sunrise to the curve on Miramar. Total cost would be $190,500 plus the cost to bond the project.

Please ask any questions or offer any suggestions so that we can have a productive discussion at the next council meeting.

David Jennings
      Keymaster

That should be “scrape off” not “scrap off”. Note that you can’t edit these posts due to state law.

Ron Hoskins
      Participant

Can we please put this topic on the agenda for the October 11 meeting?

I drove that road today and the worst part of the road is from Old 146 to Sunrise. At a minimum we should fix that portion of the Fairfield using the sales tax funds. Of course, I think we should consider all options, including concrete.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.